Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Butterfly Effect

I happened to stumble across a book recently which opened my eyes to a completely different way about approaching my life. I was willing to take that first step to changing it because I was fortunate enough to have the right people around me to realise what I was doing previously was not working, the people I surrounded myself with, the way I treated people, my inner attitude and beliefs towards myself and others was only keeping me on a path where it would always end destructively because life is only a process of cycles, and every cycle we are tested again, again and again. When you come to the end of the process of a cycle of which can be 20 years, 5 years or even 5mins you either will have succeeded or failed, either way this cycle will begin again and you will repeat this process with your next cycle or goal in life and have the chance to succeed next time. The reality is if you are continually failing these tests throughout each of these cycles in your life then it is time to change...because we are continually tested in everyday life but how many chances we have with each opportunity is never known.
This comes back to "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"

Let me tell you now about a page I read regarding "the butterfly effect" and the process and how it was applied to everyday life.

Five decades ago Edward Lorenz a research meteorologist at MIT created a computer program designed to model the weather. Lorenz had reduced weather into a series of formulas that behaved in recognizable weather patterns.
    In 1961 on a winter day, Lorenz wanted to shortcut a weather printout by starting midway through. To give the machine the initial conditions, he typed the numbers straight from the earlier printout
    Something unexpected happened. What he notices was his simulated weather pattern had diverged dramatically from the previous printout. At first he thought his computer malfunctioned. Then it suddenly hit him. There was no computer malfunction. The answer was the numbers he had put into the computer. In the original programming he had used six decimal places: . 506127. In the second run he had rounded off the numbers to .506. He assumed the difference, one part of a thousand, would have no real impact. He was wrong. This slight change had made a huge difference. This tiny change in input had quickly created an overwhelmingly different output!
   The formal name for this phenomenon is "sensitive dependence on initial conditions". Its informal and more popular name is the "Butterfly Effect"
   Simply stated, it means that the tiny changes brought about by a butterfly moving its wings in San Francisco have the power to transform the weather conditions in Shanghai
   Along with Lorenz, W. Edwards Deming came up with a very similar conclusion. Deming an American statistician who established the Total Quality Movement, first in Japan, then in the rest of the world and historically so important he was called one of the "nine hidden turning points in history" (along with the birth control pill and the Apostle Paul)
   Deming pointed out that in every process there is a beginning and an end. When you focus on the first 15% of that process and get it correct (its initial conditions), you ensure at least 85% of your desired outcome. By focusing on the 15% of anything, the remaining 85% will effortlessly follow

I will type that again...

When you focus on the first 15% of that process and get it correct (its initial conditions), you ensure at least 85% of your desired outcome. By focusing on the 15% of anything, the remaining 85% will effortlessly follow

Think about that and apply it to the next process/goal you want to achieve. Create tiny movements in your thoughts and actions and get this as close to perfect as possible in your first 15% of your process and then it will be impossible that the outcome is not successful, do this every minute and you will get to where you want to go quicker than you can imagine.  

I suppose just reading things like this isnt always enough to convince yourself, and sometimes you need to apply it to situations in your life. For example for me I applied it to what matters the most to me. When Im playing football, if I have a ball coming in the air at me quickly and its important that I control this ball perfectly in order to give myself the best chance to score, then first of all I need to focus on making eye contact with the ball followed by getting my body in line with the flight of ball then telling myself to relax and presenting the surface of which to control the ball (these are the principles of controlling a football, and I will explain what a principle is in my next blog) because my brain knows that when I make these tiny movements in my thoughts and actions that the only outcome is I control this ball perfectly allowing the next 85% percent of my desired outcome to effortlessly flow whether this is to make a pass, cross or shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment